Sunday, July 28, 2019

Unsung Hero Antoinette Tuff - Sermon from July 28, 2019


Our unsung hero for today is Antoinette Tuff, a school bookkeeper at McNair Discovery Learning Center, an elementary school in Decatur Georgia, who talked a man who came into her school with an AK47 and enough bullets to kill at least half of the 800 children there that day, into giving himself up before anyone was killed. It happened on August 20, 2013. In her book, Prepared for a Purpose, she gives credit to God for what she was able to do that day, and she believes that she was in that place and time, as Mordecai said that Esther was, filling in for the front office secretary during lunch, because she was somehow able to find the words and the tone to keep this young man from carrying out his plan. She also makes it clear that she was only able to do that because this man came in talking, while most shooters come in shooting. And she does not believe in arming teachers. She said if she had had a gun that day, in the mental state she was in and he was in, they would likely all be dead.

Antoinette Tuff has not had an easy life. Her father abandoned the family when she was 2. When she was 10, her mother got cancer. She survived, but with the cost of the treatment, she couldn’t pay the rent, so she and Antoinette were homeless for 13 months. Her son was born with multiple disabilities which got worse as he grew. and she is his caregiver. A few months before her ordeal on this day, she found out that her husband, the only man she had ever loved or been with, was in love with someone else. She was so distraught that she tried to and almost succeeded in killing herself.  And less than five minutes before the gunman walked in the door, she received a call from the bank telling her that her bankruptcy repayment plan was being cancelled due to lack of payment, and that if she didn’t come up with $14,000, which she didn’t have or have any way of getting, in 10 days, she would lose her house and her car. But it was because of all these trials, she says, that she was able to relate to the gunman, who, she learned from her time with him, was self-loathing,  had given up hope, and planned to kill himself after killing everyone else.

The gunman came in agitated and shouting, “We are all going to die today,” and she says she had never been so afraid in her life. Minutes later, another staff member, unaware of what was happening, walked into the office, surprising the gunman, and he started firing. The man fell and Antoinette thought he was dead, but the bullets had landed just to the right of him. The gunman told him to get up and go tell everyone what was happening, and he ordered Antoinette to get on the intercom and announce it, then to call 911 and a news helicopter so that everybody could witness it. While she was on the phone, the gunman opened the front door of the school and began shooting at the police who were arriving. At that moment, when he was distracted, she could have run out the back door. She wanted too.  But she was paralyzed with fear. She said, “I tried to move my feet but nothing happened. If I didn’t run now, I might never get another chance. The gunman finally stopped shooting and walked back into the front office, and I was still there, behind the desk. Turns out, I wasn’t supposed to run.”

She watched as he filled five magazines with bullets and stuffed the rest, hundreds more, into the pockets of his cargo pants. He began pacing back and forth, then called someone on his cell phone, his mother.  He said to her, “I’m the person on the news. They are going to kill me for what I did.  I shot at the police.” Antoinette said she surprised herself by jumping into the conversation. She told him that he didn’t have to die.  That no police had been killed. But he wasn’t listening to his mother or her. He went to the door and started shooting again. And she heard herself yell to him, "Sweetheart, come back in here. It’s gonna be you and me, and we will work this thing out together.”And even though he was bleeding from being cut by flying glass, and seemed on the brink of losing all control,he did as she said. He came in, and for close to an hour, whenever he appeared calmer, she talked to him. He said to her, “I don’t care if I die. I have nothing to live for. I’m mentally unstable. I’m not on my medication. I should just shoot myself.”

She told him about her trials, how just a two weeks before, she had pulled over on a busy highway, got out, and walked through two lanes of traffic hoping she would be killed and how the next week, she had asked a friend how to get a gun because she could not bear the pain of living any longer. She told him that God was with her then and that God was with him now. And that there were people who could help him. And eventually, he said, “I don’t want to hurt no kids.  I want to go to the hospital.” She was able to get him to put his gun on the desk and lie on the floor. The police came in and arrested him.  No one died.

She said that what she believed finally reached him was her compassion for him. She said, “He needed someone to listen to him. The person there was me. Though he spoke with hatred, I listened with love. Though he struggled, I saw his worth. And though he dwelt in darkness, I searched for his spark” She was practicing that 23rd Psalm that she read every morning.

 Ms. Tuff’s idea of God and God’s role in the world are a little different from mine, but I understand hers, as she is a Baptist and I was a Baptist, and I admire her faith and the courage and compassion that it gave her to save all those children that day. When Modecai asked Esther  to do what was right for her people because she was the only one who was in a position to do so, she was afraid that if she did, she would be killed. Mordecai said to her, “Maybe you were placed here for such a time as this. Antoinette Tuff believes with her whole heart,that she was placed in that front office for such a time as this, and at the end of her book, she challenges us to be on the lookout and be prepared for the opportunity to be there for someone who needs us. May we accept the challenge.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 



Our first reading is by school bookkeeper Antoinette Tuff, on the day that a gunman walked into her school.

A short stocky, 20—year-old man, who lives on a wooded street in Decatur, gets up and dresses all in black. He opens his backpack and fills it with several boxes of bullets, until he can fit no more. He loads another magazine into an AK 47 assault rifle that can shoot more than 5 hundred rounds in less than a minute. It’s one of the deadliest weapons in the world. He drives to the McNair Discovery Learning Academy, waits for someone to walk out, then sneaks in. He turns right at the first room he sees, the front office. Its door leads to a hallway that leads to the classrooms of hundreds of children, who are sitting at their desks or writing on chalkboards, innocent, unaware, in more danger than they could ever comprehend.  Because this man is inside their school, holding his weapon with both hands, waving it at me. He yells, “We are all going to die today.”

He only had to shoot me to get to his first classroom filled with children. All that will take no more than 3 or 4 seconds of time, the slightest tug of the trigger, and then will come the nightmare, the hell, the recurring horror—Columbine, Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook, and McNair will become “McNair.”
As I sit there, hands trembling, heart racing, I ask one simple question:
“God, what are we going to do now?”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our second reading is Psalm 23, which Antoinette Tuff read every morning before going into work.
O God, you are my shepherd.  I shall not want.  You make me lie down in green pastures.  You lead me beside still waters.  You restore my soul.  You lead me in right paths for your name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil, for you are with me.  Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.  You anoint my head with oil.  My cup overflows.  Surely, goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in your house my whole life long.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our third reading for today is from the book of Esther, chapter 4.
Esther sent her servant to talk to Mordecai, who told him that the king was planning the destruction of the Jews and to ask Esther to go to the king, her husband, and entreat him for her people. Esther replied, “All the people know that if any man or woman goes to the king inside the inner court without being called, all alike are put to death.” Mordecai replied, “If you keep silent for such a time as this, deliverance for the Jews will rise from another quarter, but you and your father will perish. Who knows? Perhaps you have come to royal dignity for just such a time as this.”
Esther replied, “I will go to the king, though it is against the law, and if I perish, I perish.”







No comments:

Post a Comment

New Vision and Progressive Christianity

 New Vision is a Progressive church. That doesn’t mean that you must be progressive to be a member here. It mainly means that your pastor an...